22 April 2013 - 26 April 2013
ESDC Advanced Course for Political Advisors in EU Missions and Operations
This annual course for political advisors is conducted under the auspices of the European Security and Defence College (ESDC) in partnership with the Austrian National Defence Academy and the Egmont Institute in Brussels. The target group for the course is personnel working in political advisory positions/departments in national capitals, EU institutions, EU agencies as well as in EU missions and operations. The 2013 edition is the second one.
The course aims to:
- Give participants an understanding of the tasks and challenges likely to face political advisors in an EU mission or operation – both at the operational and strategic levels;
- Provide a detailed overview of the core principles of the EU’s External Action as well as the framework, skills and working techniques for political advisors both in capitals and in the field;
- Enhance participants’ existing skills through practical training exercises;
- Encourage the formation of networks among individuals working in advisory positions.
The course consists of three five-day modules. In 2013:
- Module 1, in Brussels (25 February to 01 March 2013), focuses on the framework for political advisors, the strategic and institutional contexts and on partnerships.
- Module 2, in Geneva (22 to 26 April 2013), focuses on skills for political advisors and includes lectures on the role of political advisors, as well as practical sessions on skills development in speech writing, reporting, briefing, negotiation, mediation, and media presentation techniques.
- Module 3, in Vienna (03 to 07 June 2013), focuses on the practical work environment and includes a culminating simulation exercise.
Attendance in all three modules as well as the completion of e-learning modules are required for award of the certificate.
Location: (for module 2 only) Geneva, Switzerland
Course Leader: Ms Miriam Fugfugosh (module 2)
For any questions, please contact Ms Miriam Fugfugosh