Political advisors are instrumental in the decision-making processes of peace and security. Their effectiveness is of fundamental importance both on the ground and at an international level. Their duties require them to synthesise information rapidly, to develop a comprehensive understanding of the context and key issues at hand, and to convey that understanding and analysis to their institutions at varying levels, while building and nurturing meaningful relationships.
This course builds the skill sets and networks that political advisors need to carry out their work more efficiently and effectively. Substantive inputs are followed by group work on case studies, providing valuable learning opportunities through exchange between participants – all experienced professionals – and the course leaders.
The course brings together experienced practitioners and expert speakers from the field of political advising. It includes practical sessions that all include small group application, extensive opportunities to connect and learn from one another, and a capstone event that ties all the learnings and experiences together. It is a stimulating, challenging and fun learning opportunity.
By the end of this experience you will have:
- Explored the interdisciplinary and dynamic role of a POLAD
- Acquired a structured lens for analysing your professional responsibilities, your personal strengths and areas for growth
- Enhanced your skill sets required for effective advising
- Learned from peer experiences and perspectives
- Broadened your network in the advising field
The following focus areas will be covered:
- the role of the political advisor
- political and conflict analysis
- effective communication
- political reporting
- negotiation and mediation support
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The course is designed for political advisors and political affairs officers working in government ministries international institutions diplomatic missions either in capitals or in the field those interested in becoming a political advisor.
This course is designed for professionals working in advisory positions in the field of governance and peace and security. Typical professional associations of participants are with government ministries, international organizations and diplomatic missions. The course will also be of interest to individuals working in peace and security and wanting to shift into advising.
Alumni qualify for a 20% discount. A limited number of partial tuition waivers may be available.
* GCSP reserves the right to modify the programme dates, location and fee at any time. Discounts are not cumulative