Team Black Knights,
winners two years in a row!
⬅ WATCH THEIR INTERVIEW
25 and 26 April 2019
A major cyber attack has occurred.
How should Europe respond?
We frequently hear the terms ‘Cyber 9/11’ and ‘Digital Pearl Harbor,’ but what might policymakers do the day after a crisis? The Cyber 9/12 Strategy Challenge is an annual cyber policy competition for students across the globe to compete in developing national security policy recommendations tackling a fictional cyber incident. In 2019, the 5th European Cyber 9/12 Strategic Challenge will take place in Geneva, Switzerland from 25-26 April 2019.
The Cyber 9/12 Strategy Challenge is a unique competition designed to provide students from a range of academic disciplines with a deeper understanding of the policy challenges associated with cyber crisis and conflict. Part interactive learning experience and part competitive scenario exercise, it challenges teams to respond to a realistic, evolving cyberattack and analyse the threat it poses to national, international, and private sector interests.
In the European competition, hosted by the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP) in partnership with the Atlantic Council, students respond to a major cyberattack on European critical infrastructure and services. Competitors provide recommendations balancing individual national approaches and a collective crisis management response, considering capabilities, policies, and governance structures of NATO, the EU, and individual nations. The competition fosters a culture of cooperation and a better understanding of these organisations and member states in responding to cyberattacks.
Download Press Releases
- THE TEAM FROM THE U.S. MILITARY ACADEMY AT WEST POINT WINS THE 5TH EUROPEAN “CYBER 9/12 STRATEGY CHALLENGE”
- L’ÉQUIPE DE L’ACADEMIE MILITAIRE AMERICAINE DE WEST POINT REMPORTE LA CINQUIEME ÉDITION DU “CYBER 9/12 STRATEGY CHALLENGE”
- "Une vraie fausse attaque informatique", Bilan, 7 May 2019
- "Wenn der Hafen einer Cyberattacke ausgesetzt ist, ruft man am besten Amerikaner zu Hilfe", NZZ, 30 April 2019
- "Une attaque de ports au menu des futurs stratèges", 20 minutes, 27 April 2019
- "Cybersecurité : des étudiants américains à nouveau primés à Genève", La liberté, 26 April 2019
- "L'équipe de l'académie militaire américaine de West point remporte la cinquième édition du Cyber 9/12 Strategy Challenge", Monde Economique, 26 April 2019
- Radio interview Ambassador Christian Dussey, Former Director of the Geneva Centre for Security Policy and Klaus Julisch, Deloitte Switzerland "Cyber 9/12 Strategy "Challenge - fictional cyber attacks and how to solve them", World Radio, 24 April 2019
- Interview Ambassador Christian Dussey and Anne-Caroline Pissis, "Le secteur maritime au coeur du Cyber 9/12 Strategy Challenge", AGEFI, 24 April 2019