Enhancing Leadership for Peacebuilding - 13th Senior-Level Course on Peacebuilding 2021
5 live virtual sessions, one opening and one closing event, and individual learning in-between and possible optional sessions as required
Co-hosted by the GCSP, UNITAR and the Swiss Department for Foreign Affairs, the course led by course directors and internationally recognized senior leaders and mentors, will enable you to:
- enhance your comprehensive understanding of the latest insights in leading sustainable peacebuilding
- explore leadership styles and skills that effectively deal with peacebuilding challenges
- challenge yourself in a safe environment where you can share lessons learned and network
Multiple challenges restrict the exercise of effective leadership in peacebuilding contexts. International peacebuilding policy and practice do not sufficiently reflect the real challenges of building sustainable peace in conflicted, polarised and violent societies. This leadership course provides an opportunity for senior leaders to enhance your understanding of sustainable peacebuilding and the leadership styles that can achieve it. You will also learn how to apply this understanding to your own situation.
- By exploring different leadership styles and skills that effectively deal with peacebuilding challenges, participants will strengthen their ability to lead peacebuilding efforts in complex environments.
- By challenging participants in a safe training environment, where lessons can be shared and networks built, participants will gain a greater understanding of evolving peacebuilding practices and sustaining peace priorities
The course emphasises collaborative and inspirational leadership methods. It is interactive, building on participants’ specific knowledge and experience. Plenary and work group discussions include conceptual input and experiential learning methods. Case studies focus on specific leadership issues in peacebuilding. With experienced leaders acting as mentors, participants are encouraged to address their own leadership challenges and develop problem-solving strategies that are immediately applicable in their work environment.
- Exploring Leadership
- Leadership for Peace – Reinventing Peacebuilding
- Leadership Challenges, Concepts, Mindsets and Skills
- Strengthening the Humanitarian-Development-Peace Nexus
- Leveraging Diversity
- Leadership Mind and Body
- Leadership for Peace – Way Forward
The course is conducted under Chatham House rules which provides those driving national and international peacebuilding efforts with a safe environment where you can explore the most effective leadership styles for fluid peacebuilding settings, with peers and experienced leaders acting as coaches.
The course targets current and potential leaders actively engaged in peacebuilding challenges, notably representatives of:
- international organisations, such as the UN, AU, EU, OSCE, ASEAN, OAS, and League of Arab States
- national institutions, including government, ministries, commissions and the security sector
- civil society, including traditional and religious leaders, NGOs, INGOs, trade unions, media, business, professional associations and women’s groups
Participation is limited to 24, selection is made through a competitive process to ensure an inclusive complementary group of participants.
Full attendance is required. The course certificate will be granted after the closing session on 22 November.
The course will be held in English; no translation will be provided.
The course is sponsored by the Government of Switzerland, GCSP and UNITAR, so it is offered free of charge to selected participants.
Application deadline: 30 August 2021.