Ms Annika Hilding Norberg is Head of Peace Operations and Peacebuilding at the GCSP, and leads GCSPs work on peace operations and peacebuilding dialogue and reflections, policy applicable research and development, and executive education and training. Annika’s focus is on strengthening leadership for peace at all levels with an emphasis on UN and EU civilian, military and police missions and operations, but also leadership for peace more broadly and women leadership in particular. She serves as a Member of the Board of Directors of the International Leadership Association and as a Member of the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform Management Committee.
Prior to joining the GCSP, Annika was the Founder and Director of the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations (Challenges Forum), a joint platform of then 22 countries, incl. the five Permanent Members of the UN Security Council, aimed at strengthening UN peace operations. Originating from when she served as President of the London School of Economics (LSE) International Relations Society, the Challenges Forum was founded in 1996 as part of Annika’s research studies at the LSE on comparative approaches to peace operations. Annika coordinated the Challenges Forum based at the LSE (1996-2000), the Swedish National Defence College (1997-2002) and the Folke Bernadotte Academy, an agency of the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2003-2017). She served on the Board of Directors for the Peace Operations Training Institute (2010-2013).
Annika has worked and /or studied in ten countries. She holds a BSc of International Relations from the LSE, an MA in International Politics from the Free University of Brussels and studied languages at the Moscow State University and the Universidad del Pais Vasco. Annika is main editor of some 80 Challenges Forum and other reports and policy briefs. In 2008, she was awarded the Silver Medal of the Royal Swedish Academy of War Sciences for her contributions to strengthening UN peacekeeping.
- Leadership in International Security Course / Master’s in Advanced Studies in International and European Security – Prevention, Conflict Management and Sustainable Peace Module, 17-28 January, 2022
- Leadership in International Security Course / Master’s in Advanced Studies in International and European Security – Sub Saharan African Security Module, 4-8 April, 2022
- New Issues in International Security - Conflict Prevention, Management, Resolution and Sustainable Peace Module, 30 May-3 June, 2022
- Making the Difference in Peacebuilding, Security and Development – Results Based Management and Beyond 2021, co-organised with Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) and Graduate Institute Small Arms Survey, 27 June-2 July, 2022
- Swiss Peacebuilding Training Course (SPTC) 2021, co-organised with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, Swiss Armed Forces and Swisspeace, 28 August-9 September, 2022
- EU Pre-Deployment Course for Common Security and Defence Policy Missions and Operations, co-organised with the European Security and Defence College, 3-7 October, 2022
- United Nations Mission Advanced Staff Training Course, co-organized with the UN Department for Peace Operations and the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, 10-18 October 2022
- Enhancing Leadership for Peacebuilding - Senior Level Peacebuilding Course, co-organised with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research and the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, 7-11 November, 2022
- United Nations Police Commanders Course, co-organized with the United Nations Department for Peace Operations and the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, Autumn 2023
- Starting 2023, the two weeks Swiss Peacebuilding Training Course normally co-organized annually with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, Swiss Armed Forces and Swisspeace, will be held twice per year henceforth in February/March and early September respectively. Exact dates to be confirmed.
- Customised Courses are developed and delivered upon request.
EVENTS / SEMINARS / PROJECTS:
- European Union Civilian Training Group Leadership and Management Training Development Requirement Assessment, 2019-2021.
- European Union Military Training Group Leadership and Management Training Development Requirement Assessment, 2019-2021.
- European Association of Peace Operations Trainings Centers Annual Conference 2021, Panel on What’s New and Next in European Leadership and Management Training for Peace Operations and Missions?, panel co-organized by the GCSP, ZIF and Swedish Defence University, 12 May, 2021
- Global Peace Index 2021 Launch, co-hosted by the GCSP with the Institute of Economics and Peace, 9 June 2021
- African Peace and Security Annual Conference 2021 on Women, Peace and Security in Africa, Panel on Global Peace Index launch, organized by the Policy Center for the New South, Morocco, 21-23 June
- UNSCR 1325 Twenty Years down the Road - A Regional View on Participation, Protection, Prevention, Relief and Recovery, hosted by the Austrian Ministry of Defence and the Kreisky Forum, Vienna. Panel on “The Future of the WPS Agenda: Future Approaches, Thematic Emphasis and the “Added Value” of Women in PSO - Critical Reflections, 27-28 September 2021.
- International Leadership Association Annual Conference 2021: Reimagining Leadership Together (ILA2021), 20-25 October, 2021:
- International Leadership in Forging a Path to Human Security through Technology, co-organized by the GCSP and Palantir Technologies Australia
- Leading for Peace - The Emerging Leaderless Leadership Phenomenon, organized by the GCSP
- International Interventions in the Aftermath of Afghanistan: What Lessons for Leading Peace Operations?, co-organized by the GCSP, the ILA, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, and Peace Messenger Liberia.
- Reimagining Leadership for Peacebuilding…Measuring and Quantifying Peacefulness in Positive Change, co-organized by the GCSP and the Institute of Economics and Peace
- Practices for Training Women Leaders in Peace and Security, co-organized by GCSP, UNITAR and Unconventional International
- Shared Leadership, Shared Future: Leading Urgency and Resilience in the Climate and Peace Emergency, co-organized by the GCSP and the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform.
- Watch videos from GCSP participation in ILA 2020: Leading at the Edge: Turning War Grief into Positive Leadership for Peace; Adaptive Leadership for Sustaining Peace in a Turbulent, Pandemic World
- Geneva Peace Week 2021, 1-5 November:
- Leadership for Peace - Operationalizing the Findings and Recommendations of GPW 2021 co-organized by the GCSP and the International Leadership Association, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Peace Messenger Liberia, Palantir Technologies and the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform
- Watch video from GPW 2020: Adaptive Leadership in Support of Sustaining Peace in a Pandemic Environment
- International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centers Annual Conference 2021, Panel on Preparing Mission Leaders, co-organized by the Ministry of Defence of Peru and the Cairo Center for Conflict Prevention and Peacekeeping in Africa, 9 November, 2021
- Rising Global Peace Forum 2021, Panel on Leadership for Peace, organized by Coventry University, United Kingdom, 10 November, 2021
ARTICLES, VIDEOS AND PODCASTS:
- Blog: GCSP Co-hosts 1st UNPOL Women Police Command Cadre Professional Development Webinar
- Webinar: The New Normal? Imagining UN Peace Operations 2030 (part of the GCSP’s 25th Anniversary Celebrations)
- Video: Leadership for Peace through Conflict Analysis, Resolution and Management
- Report: Leadership for Peace through Conflict Analysis, Resolution and Management – Pilot Virtual Course Launched in Georgia
- Webinar: Leading at the Edge: Turning War Grief into Positive Leadership for Peace
- Webinar: Adaptive Leadership for Sustaining Peace in a Turbulent, Pandemic World
- Webinar: COVID19 and its Impact on UN Peace Operations (part of COVID19 Webinar Series: Global Crisis, Global Risk and Global Consequences)