Ms Annika Hilding Norberg is Head of Peace Operations and Peacebuilding at the GCSP. She leads, facilitates, coordinates and/or contributes to peace operations and peacebuilding dialogue, policy applicable research and development, as well as education and training. Annika’s focus is on strengthening leadership for peace at all levels (with an emphasis on UN and EU civilian, military and police missions and operations, but also leadership more broadly and women leadership in particular). She serves on the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform Management Committee, and as Co-Chair of the Leadership for Peace Committee of the International Leadership Association.
Prior to joining the GCSP, Annika was the Founder and Director of the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations (Challenges Forum), a joint platform of then 22 countries, incl. the five Permanent Members of the UN Security Council, aimed at strengthening the planning and conduct of UN peace operations. Originating from when she served as President of the London School of Economics (LSE) International Relations Society, the Challenges Forum was founded in 1996 as part of Annika’s research studies on comparative approaches to peace operations at the LSE. Annika coordinated the Challenges Forum based at the LSE (1996-2000), the Swedish National Defence College (1997-2002) and the Folke Bernadotte Academy, an agency of the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2003-2017). She also served on the Board of Directors for the Peace Operations Training Institute (2010-2013).
Annika has lived, worked and /or studied in ten countries. She holds a BSc of International Relations from the LSE, an MA in International Politics from the Free University of Brussels and studied languages at the Moscow State University (1991) and the Universidad del Pais Vasco (1992). Annika is main editor of some 80 Challenges Forum and other reports and policy briefs. In 2008, she was awarded the Silver Medal of the Swedish Royal Academy of Military Science for her contributions to strengthening UN peacekeeping.
- UN Female Police Commanders Cadre Professional Development Course, co-organised with UN Department for Peacekeeping Office of Rule of Law and Security Institution Police Division, 8-9 March
- Leadership in International Security Course / Master’s in Advanced Studies in International and European Security – Sub Saharan African Security Week, 19-23 April
- New Issues in International Security - Conflict Prevention, Management, Resolution and Sustainable Peace Week, May
- Making the Difference in Peacebuilding, Security and Development – Results Based Management and Beyond 2021, co-organised with Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) and Small Arms Survey, 5-9 July
- Swiss Peacebuilding Training Course (SPTC) 2021, co-organised with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, Swiss Armed Forces and Swisspeace, 29 August-10 September
- EU CSDP Pre-deployment Course for Missions and Operations, co-organised with the European Security and Defence College, 4-8 October
- Enhancing Leadership for Peacebuilding - Senior Level Peacebuilding Course, co-organised with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, UNITAR and Interpeace, 8-12 November
- Customised Courses are developed and delivered upon request.
- Global Peace Index 2021 Launch, 9 June 2021, co-hosted with Institute of Economics and Peace
- International Leadership Association Annual Conference 2021: Reimagining Leadership Together (ILA2021), 20-25 October. Watch videos from ILA 2020:
- Geneva Peace Week 2021, 1-5 November. Watch videos from GPW 2020:
VIDEOS AND PODCASTS:
- Webinar: The New Normal? Imagining UN Peace Operations 2030 (part of the GCSP’s 25th Anniversary Celebrations)
- Video: Leadership for Peace through Conflict Analysis, Resolution and Management
- Webinar: Leading at the Edge: Turning War Grief into Positive Leadership for Peace
- Webinar: Adaptive Leadership for Sustaining Peace in a Turbulent, Pandemic World
- Webinar: COVID19 and its Impact on UN Peace Operations (part of COVID19 Webinar Series: Global Crisis, Global Risk and Global Consequences)
- Video: International Day of UN Peacekeepers 2020