The world today is facing extraordinary challenges to international, regional, national and local peace and security. The negative trend witnessed in recent years with an increasingly divided and fragmented international community, a widening gap between governing elites and those who are governed, a rapidly unfolding climate change crisis, and an increase in the number and intensity of violent conflicts, has accelerated in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Remaining idle is not an option.
To be able to meet the challenges of today and in the future, strengthening our knowledge, skills and tools to promote peace, security and development effectively and at all levels has become more critical than ever. The GCSP is pleased to offer a range of opportunities for enhancing your understanding, expertise, skills and tools in support of the broader UN Sustaining Peace Agenda, with a particular focus on peacebuilding and peace operations. Our aim is to both empower you to make a concrete and positive difference in your current work and position, and to prepare you to confront new and emerging challenges to peace, security and sustainable development.
At the core of our adult learning approach is the centrality of course participants. Mentored and guided by the trainers/experts with academic and/or practitioners backgrounds, participants also bring their specific perspectives to the learning cycle. They typically come from international and regional organisations (the UN, EU, AU, OSCE, etc.), national governments, non-governmental organisations, academia and the private sector, enabling a unique environment for interactive learning and for exploring topics from a range of complementary angles and perspectives.
In 2021, to be held in the wake of COVID-19 and its transformational impact on peace operations and peacebuilding, the courses will focus on strengthening leadership for peace, conflict analysis, conflict resolution, and conflict management; resultsbased management in fragile contexts; and pre-deployment courses for international organisations and governments on peacebuilding, crisis management and peace operations training centres.
Concrete Action In collaboration with a global range of partner organisations (civilian, police and military), the GCSP is committed to:
- Promoting the effective implementation of the UN Sustaining Peace Agenda in a pandemic environment
- Nurturing and empowering current and future men and women leaders at all levels to make a concrete and significant impact in their leadership-for-peace roles and responsibilities
- Exploring and strengthening networked-based collaboration and contributing to policy applicable research and development as members of the International Leadership Association, the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform / Geneva Peace Week, the Researching for the Effectiveness of Peace Operations Network, the International and European Associations of Peace Operations Training, the EU Civilian and Military respective Training Groups for Leadership and Management of CSDP Missions and Operations Development, and the International Forum for the Challenges of Peace Operations.
- UN Female Police Commanders Cadre Professional Development Course, co-organised with UN Department for Peacekeeping Office of Rule of Law and Security Institution Police Division, 8-9 March, 2021
- Leadership in International Security Course / Master’s in Advanced Studies in International and European Security – Sub Saharan African Security Week, 19-23 April, 2021
- New Issues in International Security - Conflict Prevention, Management, Resolution and Sustainable Peace Week, May 2021
- Making the Difference in Peacebuilding, Security and Development – Results Based Management and Beyond 2021, co-organised with Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) and Small Arms Survey, 5-9 July, 2021
- Swiss Peacebuilding Training Course (SPTC) 2021, co-organised with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, Swiss Armed Forces and Swisspeace, 29 August-10 September, 2021
- EU CSDP Pre-deployment Course for Missions and Operations, co-organised with the European Security and Defence College, 4-8 October, 2021
- Enhancing Leadership for Peacebuilding - Senior Level Peacebuilding Course, co-organised with the Swiss Federal Department for Foreign Affairs, and UNITAR, 8-12 November, 2021
- UN Mission Advanced Staff Course, Spring 2022
- UN Police Commanders’ Course, Autumn 2023
- Customised Courses are developed and delivered upon request.
- Global Peace Index 2021 Launch, 17 June 2021, co-hosted with Institute of Economics and Peace
- International Leadership Association Annual Conference 2021: Reimagining Leadership Together (ILA2021), 20-25 October.
- International Leadership Forging a Path to Human Security through Technology, co-organised with Palantir Technologies Australia
- Leading for Peace - The Emerging Leaderless Leadership Phenomenon
- Measuring and Quantifying Peace to Better Manage Peacefulness, co-organised with Institute of Economics and Peace
- Supporting Women Leadership for Peace: Reimagining Peace with Women in the Lead, co-organised with UNITAR and Unconventional International
- Leadership for the Future of Environmental Peacebuilding, co-organised with Geneva Peacebuilding Platform
- Practices for Training Women Leaders, co-organised with UNITAR and Unconventional International.
- International Leadership Association Annual Conference 2020:
- Geneva Peace Week 2021, 1-5 November. Session on Leadership for Peace - Operationalizing the Findings and Recommendations of GPW 2021, co-organised with International Leadership Association, Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, Palantir Technologies and Peace Messenger Liberia.
- Geneva Peace Week 2020:
VIDEOS AND PODCASTS:
- Webinar: The New Normal? Imagining UN Peace Operations 2030 (part of the GCSP’s 25th Anniversary Celebrations)
- Video: Leadership for Peace through Conflict Analysis, Resolution and Management
- Webinar: Leading at the Edge: Turning War Grief into Positive Leadership for Peace
- Webinar: Adaptive Leadership for Sustaining Peace in a Turbulent, Pandemic World
- Webinar: COVID19 and its Impact on UN Peace Operations (part of COVID19 Webinar Series: Global Crisis, Global Risk and Global Consequences)
- Video: International Day of UN Peacekeepers 2020
- Podcast: Refugees and UN Peacekeepers
- The Future of Mediation in the Post-COVID World
- Reshaping Approaches to Sustainable Peacebuilding and Development in Fragile States - Part I
- Reshaping Approaches to Sustainable Peacebuilding and Development in Fragile States - Part II
- Peace and Security: with and for Youth
- Business and Private Diplomacy: A Potential Catalyst for Sustainable Peace
- Guerre et paix - rendons la paix plus captivante que la guerre
- Blog: Is it time for concerted action to address racial and ethnic discrimination?
- Report: Leadership for Peace through Conflict Analysis, Resolution and Management – Pilot Virtual Course Launched in Georgia
- Blog: UN calls for global ceasefire to tackle COVID-19 pandemic
- Blog: #OnlyTogether can the transatlantic partners deliver peace and security
- Op-ed: Centennial lessons: peace-making since the first world war