Webinar: Sanctions Against Belarus - What Effects Should We Expect?
Please note that the time of the webinar has been changed from 14:00 to 16:30.
While the world is still suffering from the COVID-19 pandemic, one could see the raise in protest movements around the globe. The protests in Belarus against the results of the presidential elections mobilized large numbers of people, triggering a tough response from the police forces. The West is calling for the imposition of sanctions on the political leadership, including Alexander Lukashenko, however the efficiency of sanctions has always raised many issues. At the same time, Germany, France and Italy refuse to proclaim Lukashenko persona non-grata to keep the doors open for a dialogue.
The GCSP together with the MGIMO University are jointly organising a webinar, which will discuss the implications of international sanctions from different perspectives. The webinar is free and conducted in English. It will start at 16:30, Geneva time (UTC+2)
- Ms Alexandra Matas, Head, Effective Governance, GCSP
- Dr Yulia Nikitina, Leading Research Fellow, MGIMO University
- Prof Thomas Biersteker, Professor, International Relations and Political Science, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva.
- Dr Yauheni Preiherman, Director, Minsk Dialogue.
- Dr Ekaterina Arapova, Director, Center for the study of sanctions policy, MGIMO University.