Emily Munro heads the work on Strategic Anticipation and leads projects on dialogue on emerging security issues at the Geneva Centre for Security Policy (GCSP). In this role Emily leads projects and contributes to courses, in particular in the area of strategic foresight and international security and on initiatives seeking to foster dialogue on cyber security and arms proliferation. She is a term facilitator and module responsible in the eight-month Leadership in International Security Course (LISC) and she directs an annual short courses on strategic foresight. She was the Course Director of the two-month New Issues in Security Course from 2017 to 2019.
Emily has been with the GCSP since 2003, in functions related to partnership development and governance issues, training and academic affairs, and courses and projects on peacebuilding and new issues in security.
She has previous professional experience at the International Organization for Migration (Geneva), the Global Forum for Health Research (Geneva) and the Liu Institute for Global Issues at the University of British Columbia (Vancouver, BC, Canada).
Emily holds a Master’s Degree in international relations from the Graduate Institute in Geneva and a Bachelor’s Degree in international relations and political science from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. Emily is a Canadian and Swiss citizen and she speaks English (native language) and French.
- “Strengthening Prevention with Better Anticipation: COVID-19 and Beyond”, Strategic Security Analysis, GCSP, Geneva, March 2020.
- Security in a World without Nuclear Weapons: Visions and Challenges, (co-editor, with David Atwood), GCSP, Geneva, December 2013.
- Multidimensional and Integrated Peace Operations: Trends and Challenges, Geneva Paper 1 (Conference Series), Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and GCSP, Geneva, January 2008.
- “Natural Disasters, Globalization, and the Implications for Global Security”, in Policy Briefs on the Transnational Aspects of Security and Stability, edited by Nayef R.F. Al-Rodhan, pp. 149-162, Zurich, LIT Verlag, 2007.
- Challenges to Neutral and Non-Aligned Countries in Europe and Beyond, (editor), GCSP, Geneva, 2005.